History‎ > ‎

2011-2012 Season

2011 - 2012 Boys Varsity Hockey

2011-2012 NHIAA Division II State Champions

On Saturday, December 10, 2011, for the second consecutive year Bedford began the season hosting a hockey jamboree to benefit New Horizons of Manchester at Sullivan Arena. Manchester Memorial's Crusaders skated to a lopsided 6-0 win over the Bulldogs in the jamboree opener. Bedford responded to the loss by sweeping the first three games of their division II slate. Bedford's winning streak would come to an end in the first game of the Bauer Holiday Tournament at JFK Coliseum with Manchester Central High School coming from behind to beat the Bulldogs 3-2 in overtime.
The holiday tournament began a downward spiral that saw Bedford lose six contests in a row. The most difficult game in the streak occurred at Merrimack on January 4, 2012. After having carried the play through much of the game the Bulldogs would lose in the final seconds of overtime after seeing their opponents awarded a controversial tying goal with eighteen seconds remaining in regulation. Eight days later, facing a program record seventh consecutive loss, Bedford's underclassmen at a most unexpected time took control of the season. Tied 2-2 with Spaulding High School with four minutes to play in the third period and having two players in the penalty box Bedford Sophomore Mike Dee sent Junior Chris O'Hara in on a breakaway. As time expired on Spaulding's 5-on-3 power play O'Hara scored shorthanded through the pads of Spaulding goaltender Derek Scott. The goal would not only provide the margin of victory in Bedford's 3-2 win over Spaulding that night it changed the direction of their season. The Bulldogs would go on to win ten of their last eleven regular season games with the final being a 6-5 come from behind victory over Goffstown. Bedford's closing stretch raised their division II record to 14-3 and elevated them to the top of the standings.

The division II quarterfinal playoff game on Saturday, March 3, against Timberlane High School at Sullivan Arena would be dominated by the senior line of Mike Ahern, Luke McDonough,and their sophomore line mate Ben Derosier. McDonough started the scoring for Bedford a minute and a half into the first period on a rebound after an Ahern rush down the left wing boards. Timberlane goaltender James McCoy would make a spectacular glove save on McDonough midway through the second period but McDonough would add to the Bedford lead at 11:16 of the period, skating an Ahern pass off the end boards and scoring just inside the far post. Four minutes into the third period McDonough completed the natural hat trick carrying a Mike Dee pass into the offensive zone and snapping a shot in off the post. At 9:39 of the period Timberlane cut the Bulldogs lead to 3-1 with a power play goal from the point but Ben Desrosiers from Ahern would answer with a goal on the very next shift. Ahern closed the scoring with an empty net goal from Dee with just under two minutes remaining making the final score 5-1 and moving the Bulldogs onto their third state semifinal in four years.
Bedford began the Wednesday, March 7th semifinal against Oyster River High School at The Rinks at Exeter knowing that the Green Wave of Dover awaited the winner in the NHIAA division II state final. Just 2:52 into the game Mike Dee moved the Bulldogs one step closer to the final scoring from the top of the right wing circle. Minutes later Junior Brian Collins would give Bedford a 2-0 lead they would take to the first intermission sniping an Oyster River turnover into the net. Tyler Murry built Bedford's lead to 3-0 at 3:03 of the second period going top shelf off of his own rebound. Oyster River's Clayton Jerry cut the lead to 3-1 with 4:20 to go in the third but the Bulldogs dominated territorially the rest of the way. Mike Ahern's empty net goal at 14:47 making the final score 4-1 would be his 114th and final point as a Bulldog.
Saturday, March 10th marked The Bedford High School hockey teams second appearance in a state championship game in three years. The 17-3 first seeded Bulldogs carried the play throughout most of the first period, outshooting the defending champion Dover High School Green Wave team 13-8, but would see the period end scoreless. At 6:04 of the second Bedford was finally rewarded for their efforts on a power play when Junior Kurt Mitchell skating off the left wing board snapped home the games first goal with Ben Desrosiers earning the assist. Six minutes later Bedford extended it's lead to 2-0 when Cullen Willey's shot from the left point was directed by Junior Ben Philbrick under Dover goaltender Tyler Briand onto the stick of Jason Campbell who slid the puck into the open net. Trailing 2-0 after two periods, Dover's all out attack in the third period finally paid dividends, when at 8:10 Matt Henderson was able to score after retrieving a puck of the end boards cutting Bedford's lead to 2-1. Dover would continue to tilt the ice after the Green Wave goal but the final 6:50 would belong to a veteran Bulldog defense and Sophomore goaltender Stevan Tempesta. Bedford with a 2-1 lead and 2.1 seconds left would win a face-off in their own zone ending their season on the Verizon Wireless Arena Ice in Manchester as the NHIAA Division II State Champions.